Of utmost importance is one's personal relationship with Jesus Christ as his Savior from sin and Lord of his life. God clearly states in His Word that this God given gift of faith brings one into God's family (Ephesians 2:19-22; Romans 12:4-5), and that through this faith we receive the gift of forgiveness and eternal life (John 3:16; Ephesians 2: 8-9).
And God clearly indicates that this personal faith in Jesus Christ is to be lived out in the context of a Christian congregation (1 Corinthians 1:2; Acts 2:42; Hebrews 10:25).
Article III of the Constitution of St. Paul's spells out what membership (belonging to) in this congregation requires. It states that a member: 1.) accepts the Bible as the only Divine rule and standard of faith an conduct: Psalm 119:105; John 17:17. 2.) is familiar with the doctrine of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, at least to the extent as it is set forth forth in Luther's Small Catechism, and declares his acceptance thereof: Matthew 28:20; Acts 2:42. 3.) attends divine services faithfully and partakes of the Lord's Supper frequently: John 8:47; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26. 4.) abstains from manifest works of the flesh: Galatians 5:19-21; and leads a Christian life: Matthew 5:7; Galatians 5:22-23 5.) contributes according to ability toward the maintenance of the congregation and the extension of the Church at large: 1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 9; Matthew 22:21. 6.) submits, for the sake of love and peace, to the regulations already made, or still to be made by the congregation, provided they do not conflict with the Word of God: 1 Corinthians 1:10; 2 Corinthians 13:11 Ephesians 4:1-3. 7.) accepts brotherly admonition when he has erred or given offense: Matthew 18: 15-17; 2 Corinthians 13. 8.) is not a member of a lodge or other organization whose principles and practices conflict with the Word of God: Acts 4: 12; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 5:23.
In becoming a member of St. Paul's congregation, I confess my faithfulness to my Lord Jesus Christ and my unity and oneness with the members of this congregation, as evidenced by my commitment on the following page:
1. I believe in the one true God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. __________ (yes/no)
2. I believe that this Triune God is the only true and living God. _________(yes/no)
3. I acknowledge my sinful nature, and believe that Jesus Christ is my Savior from sin. _____(yes/no)
4. I believe that there is salvation in nothing or no one other than through faith in Jesus Christ. ______(yes/no)
5. I am a member of a secret organization or lodge whose principles conflict with the Word of God _____(yes/no) a) If so, please name the organization. __________________________________ b) If so, in undivided loyalty to Jesus Christ I have relinquished my membership in this organization. __________ (yes/no)
6. I acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Lord and Master of my life, and with the assistance of the Holy Spirit intend to live my life in a Christ-like manner. __________(yes/no)
7. I earnestly desire that my fellow Christians, including the Pastor and Elders, should give me brotherly admonition should I live my life in a way contrary to God's will. __________ (yes/no)
8. I intend, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to remain in this Christian faith and in the covenant God made with me at Baptism for as long as I live.__________ (yes/no)
9. I intend to be faithful and regular in my worship attendance, in my use of the Lord's Supper, and in my use of the Word of God, realizing that through these, God comes to me to nourish and strengthen my faith.__________ (yes/no)
10. I will actively support the work of this ministry by my involvement in various areas of this ministry, by my prayerful support of all involved in this ministry, and by my commitment to financially support this ministry. __________ (yes/no)
I understand what my relationship to Jesus Christ means to me, and how membership in this congregation is to reflect the preciousness of that relationship. It is my desire and intent, with God's help, to be a faithful follower of Jesus Christ and an active member of this congregation.